WIP Alert This is a work in progress. Current information is correct but more content will probably be added in the future.
Some common software licenses simply explained (as applies to web applications, where possible or meaningful)
- what you can do
- sell it for a profit
- use in proprietary software
- modify and re-license it under another license
- what you must do
- include the original license text
- what you must not do
- take the licensed source code, modify it, redistribute it and say that it is the same as the original (not 100% sure about this)
- what you don't need to do
- license you code under MIT License just because one of the components is MIT licensed.
- provide attribution/credit to the original author in code you derive from the original code (not 100% sure about this)